Thursday, April 28, 2011

Frustrated!

I am at a loss.
I am running into dead ends as far as answers go.
The public school is not meeting Blessing's needs. This is evident by her consistent behavior issues in school. She had one good week and I though that maybe she had overcome a barrier. However, last week she had "strikes" from her teacher 4 out of the five days and this week she started Monday with three strikes and has gotten one everyday since, except for today.

It is normal for ESL students to have some acting out difficulties because they are in a situation where they are not understanding for 6 hours. That is why they have ESL programs. Her school does not have an ESL program in place.

So, I have been trying to coordinate a home school situation, but am not getting a lot of cooperation at the district or on a private level. I keep running into educators that tell me, "we cannot retain her because of language."

So, now I have demanded testing, which frankly should have been done months ago! She is not just having language difficulties. She does not understand the subject matter. She is not on grade level with her skills, and frankly she is socially quite behind as well.

The teacher argues that she is tall and it would be awkward. What?!? We are so concerned with "no child left behind" that height is a determining factor in selecting an appropriate grade???

So, I suggested to Blessing that she might have a better time if I schooled her at home, but she says she would miss her friends. Argh!

I guess I have not found the right solution. My biggest prayer is that a spot will open in the charter school that will allow her to be social with children her own age and do academics on the appropriate levels for her skills. Their ESL program is also in place and functioning.

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating! Remember you have her best interest more than anyone else could possibly! Getting her in a peaceful environment where she can grow instead of feel like she is always the troublemaker and feel put off by others is the best no matter what "the system" says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating Adrienne. I will be praying for this situation. It's so sad when you see our schools fail us so terribly. It makes me appreciate Colten's teachers and school so much more!

    ReplyDelete