Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm an idiot, but I can moonwalk

How do you ask a 12 year old boy if he knows how to take a shower? Honestly, that could be a touchy subject.

This morning there was a definite BO problem in the house. I suggested a shower before we headed up to the school to register. Well, I was listening to the sounds in the bathroom and there was definitely water running, but it was the bath running, not the shower.

Then I realized that our shower was different from the one in the hotel that I had showed the kids and Theo probably had no idea how to switch the water to the shower head by pulling that little knob. I was further embarrassed when I realized that I have set my kids shower up with body wash rather than bar soap, something that he has never seen. I also realized I had neglected to provide him with deodorant.

I am an idiot.

So, after whatever weird sponge bath the poor kid had managed in there, I asked him if I had shown him how to turn on the shower. He let me know that I hadn't. we had a quick lesson. I also apologized for not giving him deodorant and asked him if he knew what it was. He made a motion of rubbing it under his arms and I nodded.I gave him a stick. He went downstairs and smelled better when he came back up.

At the store I bought Theo and Blessing some moisturizing body wash and some puffs and told them how to use them. It is amazing the things I don't think of teaching them until I am reminded by something obvious.

There is some small redemption for me. This afternoon Theo wanted to see some Michael Jackson Videos. So, I went to that section of Youtube and let him listen and watch. When Thriller came on I heard Chloe calling me, "Mom, come show Theo how to Moonwalk."

Yes, I can indeed do the Moonwalk. Well, Theo's eye's just popped! We spent a little time working on the Moonwalk, and his smile was so big! For a little tiny moment this afternoon, I was a cool mom. I could Moonwalk.

5 comments:

  1. Adrienne;
    These are all such normal experiences. If you can get Blessing into first grade then you have her an extra year. That's what we did with Abegail even though she is by far the oldest in her grade, but it also allowed her to experience some of the younger things like Dora before being thrown into the world of Hannah Montana. Hang in there, you are on the ride of your life.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely my favorite post so far! Granted the few that you have posted so far! Anyway, It's one of those cultural "things" that we forget about and have to not assume! Ok, so at least he knows how to turn on an American Shower and use shower gel, don't consider it a reflection on you! Poco a Poco, right? Theo will probably forget some of these things and even if he doesn't, he will someday laugh along with you and talk about how cool he thought you were that you could moonwalk! You're the best, Adge, you really are! Although I'll admit that little talent has been hidden from even me! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! I can't moonwalk! Definitely way too cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed reading all your posts and updates. Wow. Your life is busy, full, and good. I'm impressed with all the gentle teaching you are doing. What a great family you have!

    ReplyDelete