Monday, January 31, 2011

America is Safe and Hair before I am Ready

Last night Theo asked me if there are thieves in America. I was surprised. "Sure, Theo," I answered not sure what he was asking. Then he indicated the large wall of windows that look out on our back yard and said:

"In Liberia if you had a small fence on your yard (ours is 6ft) and all this glass, the thieves would come over the wall, break your windows and kill you and take all that you have." He then added, "America is safe."

I was amazed at the world from which this sensitive kind young man has emerged and am so grateful that he feels safe at last. I assured him that our neighborhood is pretty safe, but there are other places that are not as safe. I explained how the neighbors look out for one another and about our police force and 911 in the case of an emergency.

He absorbed this all with the calm acceptance that he has treated all the new discoveries he is making in this new life.

Speaking of new discoveries:

I had Blessing's hair done before we left Liberia. It was supposed to last 6 weeks. I had paid careful attention to how they did her hair without the extensions, but I was happy to have some time to work on my African hair skills and research.

Well, today she could not take those extensions anymore! They were itchy and driving her nuts. So, we took them out. The problem with that is: the ladies at the foster home had relaxed her hair for the extensions. This by no means means her hair is relaxed, but it does mean it will not hold the cute little braids as well at it did pre-relaxation.

So, I make my first foray into the care of my daughter's hair. Hopefully I will not scar her for life!

2 comments: