Friday, March 18, 2011

More "Suffering" in Liberia and the Joy of Making Money

Two nights ago, Theo started the conversation with, "Mom, many children are suffering in Liberia."
I asked him about what kind of suffering he was referring. He proceeded to tell me that many girls are forced by poor families to have "boyfriends" when they are only 12 years old and that then by 15 they are having babies. He added, "So, children are having children."
I asked him if the girls are having boyfriends for money and he said yes.
I then told him that was called prostitution. Sadly, he was familiar with the word.
He asked me if there is prostitution in America. I had to tell him the sad truth, but I did tell him it is mostly illegal and that for some women it is actually a choice . . .

After that he asked me about how old people have to be in America to have girl/boyfriends and I told him that in our family we don't even date until we are 16. That was bit of a shock for him.

On a good note, Theo felt the joy of earning money for some jobs he did for me the other day. For a kid who has never seen a vacuum, he does a thorough excellent job!!! $5.00 made him grin his head off and wiggle with happiness as he said, "I have never had $5.00 in my life!!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Adrienne. The conversations you are having to have.

    Love the vacuuming story!

    ReplyDelete