Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rough Morning

This would not be an accurate record if all I wrote about were the highlights of this transition. There are many wonderful things that happen everyday, but I wouldn't fool anyone, not even myself, if I said this is always easy.

Blessing was on one this morning - she was very belligerent, wouldn't listen and would smart mouth me and yell "I know" or "I am," when it was quite obvious that she didn't and wasn't. It worries me because she was so awful and disruptive at school on Friday that they sent her home. I hope the teacher isn't in for a rough day. I left a message on her phone telling her to call me if things got bad. I pray I don't get a call, but I am bracing for it.

One of the issues with adopting a 12 year old boy is that they think they know everything. It is hard to correct certain behaviors without Theo getting a bit defensive. This morning it was trimming his toenails in the kitchen without a garbage can to catch the clippings. I try and pick my battles. Should I ask him to do that in the bathroom, over a garbage can, or both? I picked the garbage can to start with, "Please do that over a garbage can, Theo." He looked at me, nodded, and continued doing what he was doing!!! Kyle stepped in after that.

The other day I made breakfast: German pancakes - the kids all LOVE them!!! I asked Theo to use a fork 3 times before he actually complied, but I got the stink eye first.

I am sure this is tough on them in a lot of ways. Things that are important to us (like using the garbage can instead of the floor for paper and wrappers) have not been a priority for them. I am sure sometimes they feel like there is a new rule every time they turn around. However, we have missed 8 and 12 years of teaching them how to be acceptable in society. That's a lot of catching up to do. Like all children, they are very receptive to the privileges of their new lives, but not as keen on the responsibilities. . .

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! I admire your hard work, positive attitude, and gentle love in what you're facing. You are great!

    ReplyDelete