Monday, February 7, 2011

Peace, Quiet, and a Little Bit of Guilt

So, today Theo and Blessing started school. The house this morning seems very quiet. If it weren't for Sophie the only noise would be the sound of my somewhat squeaky dryer.

Since Sophie is screaming her head off right now because I will not let her wipe her cheese ball fingers on my couch and am insisting she finishes them in her high chair, I am thinking that preschool should start at age 2!

But, I digress. Theo and Blessing are in school. They wanted to go to real school desperately. My initial plan was to take the eight months before the new school year and work with them to get them more up to speed. However, they wanted to be with kids their own age in school.

I can't blame them. They have been in a home most of their lives. Theo has had very few peers and the last little while has been with "babies." He told me that the home had been a happy place for him in the beginning, and even though he "will play with any child," he wants to be with kids his own age.

There is a little bit of guilt in this for me. I know that, academically speaking, I could do more to get them caught up than even the very best teacher. Because, after all, that very best teacher has 30 other kids in his/her class. I could have insisted. I could have made the decision to home school them and stuck with it. I didn't. Maybe this is because they wanted this, but maybe this is because this is just easier for me.

Mom guilt! I really hate it!

1 comment:

  1. Please don't feel guilty, trust me you will make up for it during homework sessions!

    ReplyDelete