Friday, February 4, 2011

"She is fessed with you"

So yesterday was productive. I took Theo and Blessing to their check up for school and then we went to the school and met with the principal and their teachers. We even stopped at the book fair and they each picked a book.

We returned home for lunch and they were starving! They each had a piece of pizza stromboli and a large helping of "African Salad." (This is a favorite of theirs: boiled potatoes, boiled eggs, and chopped up hot dogs served warm with mayonnaise - totally gross to me but Nirvana to them.)

Theo was still hungry and asked for a hot dog. So, I started heating two up - one for him and one to split between Kyle and Sophie. When they came out, Blessing wanted one too.

Now, I have noticed that Blessing will eat non stop if given the opportunity and am realizing that without portion control that she is going to end up a very unhealthy young lady. These were huge Costco hot dogs!

So, I gave Theo (5ft 4 inches tall and 106lbs) a whole hot dog and Blessing (49 inches tall and 54lbs) half a hot dog. I told her she could have more if she was still hungry when she was finished.

Well, I guess this is what set off another pouting session. She wouldn't talk to me look at me or even answer me when I asked her if she was full. Theo then informed me that "Blessing is fessed with you."

Side note: Some knowledge of older English words is helpful in understanding Liberian English. "Fessed" is the way they say "vexed" which means angry.

Theo kept trying to get Blessing to answer him as he asked her if she was full and if she wanted more food. Suddenly, I had had enough. I explained to both of them that even if Blessing answered Theo's question, she would not be given anything else to eat until she showed me proper respect and answered me and asked me nicely.

I explained that I was now "fessed" as well. That Blessing had not thanked me for preparing lunch and was treating me badly. Theo said she did this all the time at the foster home and that she was very stubborn. I let him know that I was stubborn too.

Well, Blessing stewed for a while. About an hour later Theo had some chocolate milk and she asked him for some. I reminded her kindly and gently that she was not having anymore food until dinner unless she talked to me and was respectful.

She lasted another half an hour after that before she asked very nicely for more hot dog and after that she returned to her happy thankful chatty self.

I love that little girl so much, but she is going to need some pretty firm guidance to be able to function with people.

1 comment: