Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Worlds without end . . .



Theo and I studied for a science test yesterday after school. I was amazed as I watched him grasp concepts of things that he had never even conceived! He had never heard of a galaxy, a solar system, the universe. He knew about the sun and the earth. He never learned about other planets and their names.

My mind kept flashing to a well worn Blue's Clues tape that Zachary loved when he was little and the jingle that helped him learn the names of the planets.

I watched Theo concentrate hard as we discussed what a light year is and how fast light travels in one second of time (186,000 miles per second). We looked at numbers that were so large he didn't know their names: trillion, billion.

I was so proud when he woke up this morning and wanted to go over all the facts again, checking his spelling, asking questions. So much information could be discouraging, but for Theo it seemed to spark this determination to know more, to understand, to excel.

It made me want to read a book, discover something new, expand my mind just a little. It made me thankful to live in a world where there is so much to learn.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of Theo! Makes me tear up :) How much we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete